Friday, April 5, 2024

Bom dia

That’s most of the Portuguese I’ve mastered so far but I’m thrilled to report that I’m here, people are pleasant & helpful, and the weather is beautiful.  


My travel logistics ran nearly on time, but it still took nearly 24 hours to get here. I was wiped out, especially after what could have been a fatal snafu at Charles De Gaulle airport which I was able to buy my way out of. Then, more anxiety while I waited forever for my suitcase – containing all my biking and hiking gear – to appear at Lisbon baggage claim. I had booked an airport-to-hotel transfer with a service called Welcome Pickups, which turned out to be the best $30 I’ve spent in a long time.

I spent today walking (and napping) and walking some more. Lisbon is a bustling city but is quite walkable on tree shaded streets. My hotel is situated on the wide Avenue da Liberadade which was teeming this morning with a miles long trail of honking vehicles making all sorts of commotion – a protest by Uber drivers I’m told. This  hotel is a bit outside of the main tourist area, but I found my way there easily enough. Here are fun things I saw today:



 

At the botanical gardens


 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a promising start, although I expect the deets about the airport trauma when you get home. :)

    ReplyDelete