Monday, September 15, 2014

A New Adventure



Hello Fellow Travelers!  I am happy to report that I have another grand adventure approaching. This time, I’m headed back to Italy. Although Ireland was lovely and the fulfillment of a life-long compulsion, I’m still shivering from that trip. So I am especially looking forward to what I hope (no, what I’m counting on) will be a mild and sunny climate. 
photo courtesy of Marisworld http://marisworld.co.uk

This trip is also a departure from previous trips because a) it’s a hybrid of do-it-yourself and organized tour and b) I’m not going alone!  Gasp!  Yes, I finally convinced somebody – my good friend Wendy – to come with me. I am so looking forward to having a travel buddy for sight-seeing, going to fancy restaurants, getting lost and embarrassed, and for watching my luggage when I dash to the bathroom at the train station.  

Here’s the plan: We fly into Rome, arriving on Thursday 9/24. We’ll spend several days in Rome, then take the train to Bari where we will meet up with a bicycle tour that is arranged by the Backroads Biking Tour Company.  This is a 6 day bicycling tour that takes us down the boot of Italy in the Puglia region. Thus, we’ll be riding along the Adriatic coast, dipping into the ocean, lodging in Masseria, and sampling food and wine to die for. We’ll finish up in Lecce where we’ll stay an extra day, then fly back to Rome and back home . . . unless I live out my fantasy of running away to Southern Italy forever. 

My plan is to blog this trip as I have in the past, but my posts may be a little more infrequent depending on wifi access, bicycling schedules, and wine intake. In any case, I hope you’ll travel along with me.    

Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment