Skip to main content

Random Sights

 

When I was in London ~24 years ago I didn’t ride The London Eye for some reason. I’ve regretted it ever since so when planning this trip, an Eye ticket was my first purchase. Yesterday was the big day, and I’ve finally got this out of my system.  It was low-key fun. The wheel rotates at a glacial pace and takes ½ hour for a single circuit giving plenty of time to walk around within the stable pod and take in the views.



Before the Eye, I visited the ChurchillWar Rooms which are amazing. It’s a tour through the extensive basement headquarters from which Churchill and his officers and staff managed Britain’s involvement in World War II. Apparently, on VE day, everybody just got up and walked out. The doors were closed and locked with everything left as is and supposedly, that’s how we’re seeing it all today.  The visit comes with a well-done audio guide, and there’s a room dedicated to the entirety of Churchill’s life. I spent around 2 hours there and could have spent more.

Today, a friend and I are going to tour Parliament and I’m hoping to see that room shown frequently on the news where all the MPs loudly argue and insult each other.

In the meantime, here is a selection of interesting (at least to me) sights. 

 

When I was here so long ago, I *think* I remember you could just walk down Downing Street and stand across No. 10.  Obviously, no more.  I was hoping to glimpse Larry the Cat but he wasn't about.  



 

National Covid Memorial Wall along the Thames


Trees get right-of-way on some sidewalks.

 
Yesterday, we went on a narrowboat informative canal cruise. As you can see, this section of the canal is "reflecting pool" green.  :-)

 
If you're an Elizabeth George fan as I am, you know that Simon & Deborah St. James live on posh Cheyne Row, and that Thomas Lynley visits there often. Last night, our group happy hour was at a pub around the corner so of course, I walked around and snapped a photo. I believe this is the fictional St. James's home. It's across from the Thomas Carlyle home.
 


 



Comments