I’m still pretty jet-lagged. In addition, substantial overnight street noise (reportedly from Bath University students just arriving for “freshie” week) has repeatedly interrupted my fragile slumbers so I’m kind of a mess. Even so, I forced myself into those morning runs which, despite my being bleary, started my days off well.
I had spied a footpath bordering the Avon and headed that way early Friday morning. Instead, I found myself on the old towpath that runs alongside the Kennet & Avon Canal. I hadn’t even known the canal existed so was delighted to discover this scenic, traffic-free, and peaceful place to run. There are many narrowboats – people’s residences – docked along the canal, and pretty properties backing up to it. At the end near town, there’s a series of impressive locks used to get your boat to/from the Avon.
Later, I headed out for my walking day heading first to Alexandra Park which is high above Widcombe on the other side of the Avon from Bath. My walking tour audio from the day before had mentioned this as one of Jane Austen’s walking destinations, but yikes, it involved a substantial uphill path. I had a hard time picturing gentle Jane in a long Georgian dress sweating up countless steps.
At the top there’s a spectacular view of Bath; it reminded me of my long walks last year up into the Bellosguardo region above Florence and the comparable, expansive views from Piazzale Michelangelo. Indeed, although certainly different in character, Bath has surprised me with numerous déjà vu moments vis a vis Florence.
Next, I walked to the Bath University campus which entailed another 2 miles uphill. Oof. I wanted to see where all those raucous students spend their days and – ohmygosh – I immediately wanted to go back in time to my college years and matriculate here. The campus is stunning: full of greenery and ponds and non-raucous students.
When I first arrived, I ducked into a large building seeking a restroom (found). It turned out to be an expansive sports and fitness facility – probably the nicest I’ve encountered anywhere. I didn’t see it all but saw indoor tennis courts and a gym with any equipment you’d want. Sign me up!
This is getting long, so just a few more highlights:
· Friday’s walk ended up being 6.5 miles which, when added to my morning run, gave me a 10 mile day.
· After running again on Saturday, I walked back across the Avon to visit Prior Park, then looped clockwise around much of Bath, which gave me an 11 mile day. Then I had a looooong nap.
· While here, I’ve been watching a BritBox series called McDonald and Dodds about a pair of mis-matched detectives solving crimes here in Bath. It’s super fun to recognize many of the locations. The last episode featured a guest house that is more or less down the street from the one I’m in.
· A few more random photos:

Someone needs some marketing advice. At least they didn't call it "Fat Butt"








Comments
Post a Comment