Skip to main content

Travel Time vs. Time Travel

     Upon returning from long vacations, I typically feel like no time at all has passed here at home. It’s a weird feeling, as if I’ve disappeared Outlander style, yet returned to pick up just minutes from when I left off.  

It’s not as if I’ve crossed over into some parallel reality for the vacation’s duration – a parallel reality / timeline would proceed apace with my regular one.  Rather, it feels as if I’ve jumped to some perpendicular reality/timeline in which my experiences barely overlap with my usual routine. 



I’ve also found that the longer I’m gone, the more intense this sensation. Years ago, I returned from six weeks away. Everything in my house felt and looked the same except that I had to blink away some strange aura shimmering around all my stuff, as if it had been held in suspension.

On my first day back this time, I looked for evidence that my regular life had leapt forward three weeks. I noticed that the saplings newly planted along our bike trail had leafed out and sprung many slender branches, that a neighborhood house is now for sale, that the river has risen with the release of waterflow from the upstream dam. The flowers I’d planted near our front door had multiplied, and the birdbaths in the back yard were dry.

Another clue: the birds have fled - temporarily, I hope.  In our regular life, the hubs keeps multiple bird feeders stocked with seed, and we enjoy lots of bird action.  But, of course, the feeders were depleted when we returned, and it seems the birds quickly learned to feed elsewhere. Apparently, it’ll take some consistency and coaxing to bring them back.

              One of the reasons vacations are great is that they give you some distance from, and perspective on your regular life.  I’m always pleased to return home. As usual, I’ve returned with a few resolutions, as well as an appreciation for the life we’ve built here. 

I’m fortunate to have the opportunity to experience lives elsewhere, and re-experience my own upon return. Thanks for following along.

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Glad you two are back home, and I’ll miss traveling with you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment